Thursday, January 22, 2009

My Winter Vacation/Dr.Faustus


I'll tell you how I spent my winter vacation.
On Dec. 24, I baked my mother a christmas cake.
She had been staying at a national hospital of Hirosaki, so my sister and I visited her and gave her the cake.
It was very hard for me since I seldom make cakes.
On Jan.2, I went to Iwaki-yama shrine for beginning of the New Year.
I pulled out an omikuji there, it said dai-kichi!
May the new year bring us happiness.
---------------------------------------------
I think "Doctor Faustus" tells us about how Western people believe in the world after death.
By the way, it was surprising that Lucifer was a woman.
Is Lucifer also a woman in other movies or pictures?
In Japan, people believe that Hell's king is Enma-daiou.
Perhaps he is a man. It's interesting for me the difference very much.

I can't find any story similar to "Doctor Faustus."
I just think the story riminds me inga-ouhou.

1 comment:

Professor Philips said...

"Lucifer" means "light bearer" in Latin. It is the name of the planet Venus as the morning star. The Roman goddess Venus, goddess of sexual love, was the special protector of the Romans and their mythological ancestor, through Aeneas of Troy. Notice that every time Faust thinks of repenting, Mephistopheles tempts him with a beautiful woman. At the end, Faust asks for Helen of Troy to be his paramour.