Friday, October 12, 2007

Learning English on the Internet

I'm not going to introduce myself here. I already did that in class, and you can find out more about me from my website, e.g. the FAQs page. Instead I'm going to show you the kind of website you're supposed to find this week, and how to post information about them. You only have to find one website, but I thought I would post one for each of the four language skills.

KCRW was my favorite radio station when I went to UCLA. It was just the local, community college radio station, but they had some of the best music, and the widest variety, of any station. When they started an African music show I even got to go down to the station and share some of my albums with the DJs. Now I listen to them on the Internet, where they have turned into one of the biggest stations in Internet Radio. I especially enjoy their news and podcasts. The level of their English might be a little above yours, but you might like their music.

A source of easier English for listening might be the ESL podcast site.

You can read English just about anywhere on the Internet, and even many sites that aren't basically English usually have English pages for international visitors. The Japan Times website might be of interest to you, though, since they have lots of information about Japan in English.

Writing English is becoming more and more common on the Internet, since many blogs and news sites allow visitors to leave comments. Of course this blogsite is for you to practice writing, and you are free to start your own blog if you want, but such sites as Japan Today have room for many comments from visitors. Feel free to jump into the arguments and flame away!

There are lots more links about studying English, other languages and linguistics on my languages links page. Feel free to check it out any time.

No comments: