Friday, November 27, 2009

Assignment

For this week's assignment I'd like everyone to find a website in English that interests them, and introduce us to the rest of us. I have some English websites listed by the side of the blog, under "Links" but I think you should be able to find others that interest you. Let me introduce the sites that I thought were important enough to link to this blog.

Google News can keep you abreast of the major news stories around the world. I check it first thing almost every morning to keep up with what's happening almost everywhere. You can customize it to report whatever you find interesting.

Japan Today is a news and information website. It's a little bit tabloidy at times, but it does cover the important news about Japan in English. If you're interested in news about Japan in English I would recommend both it and the Japan Times, which is also a newspaper. It's major stories are carried both in the online and print editions.

Brad Blackstone is a friend who used to teach English at Minnesota State University in Akita. Now he teaches at the National University of Singapore. He's much better than I am at both blogging and teaching English, and he uses blogs a lot in his classes. I hope you enjoy his blog.

Another blog for English classes that I happened along one day is the ALEA blog. It calls itself "A meeting point for all the students and staff who are, or have been, studying or teaching English at Yethreb School, Ben Ashur, Tripoli, Libya." It may be interesting for you to read what other students are doing in the way of learning English as a second language.

I also have links to the TOEFL and TOEIC sites for those of you who may be interested in taking either of those tests. TOEIC tests only passive skills, but is used by many businesses in Japan for appointment and promotion purposes. There is a TOEIC preparation class in this school. I also try to prepare my students for TOEFL if I can, and in fact your in-class writing exercises are intended to be preparation for TOEFL's Test of Written English (TWE) section.

Finally, I linked the class blog I created for a more advanced English class. This was originally Level 4, but we keep changing the system. I don't know if we'll be able to continue the advanced, intensive English classes much longer.

1 comment:

doshimaitri said...

It is long-established fact that knowledge of other languages greatly enhances learners’ understanding of languages in general and enables people to use their native language more effectively.Language school learners have stronger vocabulary skills in English, a better understanding of the language, and improved literacy in general - enhance these skills and again, you’ll be much more employable