Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My hometown


Hello, you all!

Today, I want to talk about my lovely hometown. My hometown is Kiryu-city,Gunma prefecture. Gunma is in the Kanto Plain and Kiryu is located in the west of Gunma.

Kiryu and Gunma has a lot of intersting cultures, something like textiles, silk fabrics, and baseball. Especially, Jomo-Karuta is very famous.
Do you know Karta,by the way? Karta is one of the card games. This Karuta is very familiar to us and children there. All of them are memorizing lines of Karuta perfectly. That's why they can choose a correct card immediately when a person is reading a line of the card.
I heard this Jomo-Karuta was made in order to help children understand their hometown's culture and history. In fact, lines of the cards are written about many famous figures, geography and scenery.

If you have friends who are from Gunma, you can ask about it and I'm sure that they can say the lines as if they utterd an incantation. :)

No comments: