Monday, May 24, 2010

Tendo - My hometown

Hello. I'm from Tendo city, Yamagata. About 64 thousands people are living in Tendo.Tendo is located at just north of Yamagata city. Because over 95 percent of shogi komas are produced in Tendo, objects look like shogi koma can be seen very often in Tendo. For example, there is a big shogi koma on almost every postbox and questions of shogi on electric light poles and sidewalks. Festivals about shogi is also holded in Tendo. One of them is "Ningen shogi", where professional shogi players play shogi using people as shogi komas. Because I have played shogi since I was a 4th grade student, I was invited to the festival last year. There are many things and facilities about shogi in Tendo (for example, shogi school, shogi museum, very big shogi komas for interior). If you like shogi, you should visit Tendo once.

This is "Ningen shogi".
Standing near the character of "三" is me.↑ I'm wearing a red armor.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks fun! Why is there smoke on the right of the photo?

arigatou gozaimasu.

Taiki Saito said...

Look like smoke are cherry blossomes.
It is played on the top of Mt Maizuru and there are many kind of cherry blossomes.
Just before playing the game, some performances (man-to-man fight with blades and spears, dance and playing drums...) are given.