Monday, December 06, 2010

This week, I would like to speak about the cost of living in Hirosaki, especially about my own expenses, which are quite higher than I was expecting them to be.


First, I'm getting lost with all those bills for the electricity, gas and water I receive each 2 or 3 days. Because it's written in Japanese, I don't quite catch the meaning, and always think "Hey! Haven't I already paid for this last week ?" . The only I can read for sure is the price, written much bigger than the rest of the paper, and it often makes me feel so astonished that I have to sit for a while.

There is also the health insurrance to pay, and I just did it today with a korean friend. The lady first told me that, because I was late, I was expected to pay a supplement ! But even if it's the same way in France with any insurance contract, I still don't understand why I had to pay for october and november, which are already finished and when I wasn't even sick !


Next problem is the price of food, especially the meat, in Japan. Before coming here, I was thinking that life in Japan surely had to be much cheaper than in France !!! In my country, I barely complained about the high cost of the products I bought in the supermarket ! I must confess that I'm a bad cook, so I'm used to buying food that is easy to prepare (or already made), and I can tell you that in France the way of living is very expensive ! But if I do the same in japan, I'm often surprised by the total price it can reach. Since I came to Japan, I haven`t been eating breakfast like I used to, and I eat less and less meat (only at the university cafeteria).


Besides food, my other expenses are limited. Sometimes, I spend some 1000 or 2000 yen for a karaoke party, or else, with my friend, but most of the time I have to decline their invite.
Surely, I can't spend all my time in my room, so I get out sometimes for trips too. Thus, I went with some friends to Asamushi by train, to visit the aquarium, go to the onsen, eat at some restaurant, and somehow, even if the price was not so expensive but well-calculated, my wallet was empty after that day.


But I don't think I have much more to complain about, because I live in the International House, Which rent is really low (5900 yen per month), and I must confess that one of my japanese friends always takes me out to some restaurants (maybe 2 or 3 times a week), and elsewhere too, and the person who payes is alway him. And I have found a job, quite easy, very interesting, and well paid so I should consider myself very lucky, compared to other students.


I would really like to know your opinion about the cost of living in hirosaki, my fellow foreign students, and you too of course, dear japanese friends in the same class as me.

see you

No comments: