Friday, October 27, 2006

I guess I should start

This week's assignment is to post an interesting link. I know lots of interesting links and I should really update my links pages with at least some of them. What could I find that would interest you, though? I've already put some of them on the sidebar to this blog. And next week we are supposed to post links about English. So what to link this week?

Hmmmm, . . .

Since one of you likes Latin, maybe I should link two Latin dictionaries that I like. This one is from the University of Notre Dame in the United States. Notre Dame is famous as a football school, but it also has very good academics. This other one is from the Perseus Project at Tufts University, also in the United States.

After English I studied Spanish first and Latin second, but my real second language is Hausa. UCLA has a very good Hausa program and the link will take you to the UCLA Hausa program. Hausa is taught in Japan at Tokyo University of Foreign Studies and I think at Osaka University of Foreign Studies, but I'm not sure.

Well, everyone here isn't interested in languages (although you do have to study them) but they do seem to be interested in music and movies.

I like all kinds of music, especially American music(s)(I have a small section about music on my American studies links page) but also European and African classical and African folk and pops. I download more and more music, and buy from Amazon.com, because I can't find my tastes in the stores very much here in Japan.

I like to read up on movies at the Internet Movie Database. They have lots of information about movies from all over the world. Did you know that one Japanese movie is in their top ten movies of all time? I've seen 8 1/2 of those top ten movies. (No reference to Fellini's film of that nameis intended, although I do like his films, too.) I only watched about half of "Pulp Fiction" and couldn't finish it, it was too disgusting. Worse than "Pink Flamingos". As they said in Latin, "De gustibus non est disputandum." or "There's no arguing about taste."

No comments: