Saturday, December 19, 2009

my Christmas/New Year vacation plans


In Japan Christmas is a holiday for friends to get together, while the New Year is a family holiday, when people go to shrines and temples. In the US Christmas is a family holiday, when many people go to church even if they only go twice a year, and families get together for a Christmas dinner and exchange presents. In my family we usually have a Japanese New Year's Day but an American Christmas.

This year, though, I'll be in Japan for Christmas, but in the US for New Years'. I'll have an American Christmas, with a Christmas cake and our annual lamb family dinner, in Japan, but I won't be able to have a Japanese New Year's in the States. I'll be getting ready for the American Historical Association's annual conference, trying to get over jet lag and see a few friends (and do some research in the UCLA Research Library).



Anyway, that's why I won't be there for the next class on January 8th. I am looking forward to reading your reactions to "Faust" (or "Much Ado about Nothing" if the Faust video doesn't play correctly) here on the blog, though. I'll be checking in every once in a while to see how you are doing. Don't forget to post about what you are doing during the break, and don't forget your writing assignments. I forgot to mention that we won't have class on the 15th because of the Center Test that weekend, but I'll see you all on the 22nd for sure.

Have a nice vacation, and keep studying English.

No comments: