Friday, November 19, 2010

Strings

I belong to the orchestral club of this university, and I play the cello. And, I played the contrabass in high school and the violin in junior high school. I like them, and they have interesting structures.
There are usually 4 stretched strings on one stringed instrument. Their lengths are different by instrument. Also, Their thicknesses are different. These differences make differences of range according to instruments or strings. And, there is a pillar inside of a stringed instrument. This pillar is called "sound post", in Japanese "魂柱". Sound posts are important for beautiful sounds. When we make sounds, we rub strings with bows. Bow is a tool that fur of horses are pitched on a woody stick. And, we must rosin the strings. Rosin makes friction between strings and bows, and we make sounds using this friction. Like this, the strings are very interesting. And, Playing them are very fun. So, I want to continue to play them in the future.

No comments: