Monday, July 05, 2010

P52 Topic3 with links


Hello, everyone! I'm Mizuki.


Today, I want to write an essay based upon my research about a work of art I like. The work is "Pumpkin". It is one of the works of very famous artist, Yayoi Kusama. She is a japanese woman from Nagano prefecture and she is a sculptor, a painter, and a novelist. Her works are highly regarded around the world. She is 81 years old. (http://www.yayoi-kusama.jp/)

She often incorporates polka dots into her works of sculptures and paintings. "Pumpkin" is the object of big yellow polka-dot pumpkin. She constructed it on the shore of Naoshima in Kagawa prefecture in 1994. Naoshima is known as a town of modern art. (http://kagawa.weblike.jp/index.html)

I saw "Pumpkin" three years ago for the first time. At first, I thought it was an oddly colored sculpture, but currently I regard it as a symbol of Naoshima. Have you ever been to Naoshima? If not, go there and see "Pumpkin", thinking philosophically with your friends. I want to do that again!

No comments: