Monday, May 17, 2010

My favorite food

I have lots of favorite foods. If you look back over the blog from previous years, I think I wrote about Greek food, which I really like but which is hard to find in Japan. I also cook Italian, Mexican, and even a little Chinese and Indian. And of course I can make all the American clichès, from hamburgers and steak to BLT and grilled cheese sandwiches. But what I really like is my wife's cooking. She makes mostly Japanese and Chinese foods, although she can cook some other kinds of food, too. She really likes experimenting in the kitchen, and she comes up with a lot of surprises. But just the ordinary daily dinner she cooks is good enough that I once snapped it and put it on Facebook. Here was my daily dinner one night: Actually we had a lot more food at that dinner, but the salmon and shiitake seemed "picture perfect" to me.

I do get out to restaurants, too. I thought I'd add a photo I took at Da Ferido, a northern Italian restaurant here in Hirosaki with lots of great food. Northern Italian food is not the usual you get in Japan, since Italian food was introduced to Japan from the United States, and most Italo-Americans are from southern Italy. But the owner makes a lot of southern Italian dishes, too, and even North African ones. It's a little expensive for students, though, so maybe you should get your parents to take you when they visit you. Here's what I had one night last November:

1 comment:

Gaijin Mitch said...

I've heard of this one restaurant in Tokyo that seats all of 4 people. It's super tiny, but the food there is great. From what I remember hearing about it they serve some pretty great Italian cuisine, I just wished I could remember the name.