Thursday, July 15, 2010

Epic poem

Good evening. I'm Yuta Oba.

These days I read a lot of books. I like foreign classical literature in particular, and what I'm reading now is The Kalevala.

Do you know the most greatest three epic poems in the world? It is said that they are The Iliad, The Ramayana and The Kalevala. I knew The Iliad and The Ramayana because they were very famous in the world and often introduced on many textbooks. However, I didn't know The Kalevala, so I got interested in it and felt like reading it.

The Kalevala is a epic poem which Elias Lonnrot compiled from Finnish and Karelian folklore in the nineteenth century. The story is a kind of myth and written mainly about Vainamoinen. He looks like an old man, but he is very strong and can use a lot of spells!

There are some expressions which are too difficult for me to understand, but it is a really beautiful and fantastic story. So if you are interested in epic poetry, try to read The Kalevala.

No comments: